I'm a writer, and I've got a story to tell.

One Puzzle Piece at a Time: Trusting in God's Faithfulness When You Can't See the Big Picture

     Hey readers! Sooo it's been awhile since my last post and A LOT has happened since then. For starters...COLOR GUARD SEASON has officially begun. For those of you who may not know this is my first season of color guard EVER and I'm on a collegiate level team...talk about a challenge! haha. Today I'm going to talk a little bit about my journey on the guard team thus far and how it relates to some pretty awesome life lessons that I've learned through my experience. This is post is all about overcoming fears and trusting in God even when you may not understand His calling because that is seriously what got me through these past two weeks of color guard & band camp. Believe me...it wasn't easy, but it was worth it. :) I am focusing my message on a Bible verse that has recently become very special to me: 1 Thessalonians 5:24 "God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful." (NLT) Basically, it means that if God calls you to it...He WILL get you through it.

     Okay, to begin...let me just give you a little backstory to how this whole guard thing suddenly became a wonderful new part of my life. At the end of last semester I heard that my school was having auditions for their color guard team. Now as I mentioned previously, I had never done color guard before. No experience. I have always liked watching the guard perform at the football games...it looked pretty fun! Also, guard involves a lot of dance...I've had years of dance training and I really missed dancing sooo I was like, hey why not give it a shot. Anyway, to make a long story short...I contacted the band director & guard instructor, told them I was interested in auditioning but I knew nothing about guard, and asked them if they knew anyone who would be willing to teach me some basics before auditions. They referred me to one of their team members who graciously taught me a few guard basics: drop spins, speed spins, backscratchers, stirs, and a single toss. This was over the course of the two weeks prior to auditions. So with this very helpful yet limited knowledge and skill I choreographed a routine for auditions and performed it. :) We also had to learn a routine and perform it in groups. Annnd I made the team! Praise God! I believe this was totally a God thing because I did not expect it at all. This brings me to one of my first life lessons I've learned: God always has a greater plan that is beyond our imagination.
     My color guard adventure had felt like I'm going a million miles per hour: two weeks of training...auditions...made the team...went to beginner camp for one week...LU guard camp...LU band camp...and now our regular rehearsals begin today. Phew. It's been tough, but it's also been fun cultivating a new skill! It's like God gave me this desire, but I wasn't quite sure why I wanted to do it other than it was a way to get back into my love of performing. Overall, I feel like God called me to it and I'm just trusting in His faithfulness. I've had this idea confirmed many times now, and this much needed confirmation seems to always come at the right time. For example...whenever I was having a really rough day of practice it seemed like out band director would gather us together and remind us that God called each of us to this team for reason and that although we may not know what that reason is yet, we just have to trust that God is going to be faithfully in bringing his plan to completion. These words were extremely comforting and empowering...especially when I just felt like I didn't have the strength to keep going.
     There were times when I felt like I made a mistake by joining the guard team because I felt like I wasn't good enough. I questioned why God had placed this desire on my heart or if maybe I had misunderstood his calling. But I did not give up. I prayed. I kept trying...and trying, and trying annnnd trying again, and eventually I got better. Overall...I had to learn to put my trust in God even when it seemed like what He was calling me to do was impossible. I could not see the whole picture, but I had to believe 100% in God's faithfulness and His timing. This brings us back to the verse I mentioned at the beginning of this post: 1 Thessalonians 5:24 "God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful." (NLT) It just so happens...Dr. Elmer Towns gave a message on this verse during our band camp devotionals one night. :) God really spoke to me that night through this verse and Dr. Town's devotional. I was beginning to realize God really did have a plan for me being on this team and that it was not a mistake. Every time I did something right during rehearsals (got my flag work right, caught a toss, remembered my drill, etc.) it was like a piece of the puzzle coming together, and I could begin to see God's big picture. One of the biggest puzzle pieces was put into place for me just the other night. It was our last night of band camp...the final rehearsal of the day. It was cold and rainy out on the field, but we were determined to finish strong. We ran through everything we've learned so far with the marching band and it went AWESOME! All our hard work paid off...our adrenaline was high...we gave it our all and performed it like we had a crowded stadium. Personally I was excited because I CAUGHT MY TOSSES! lol. That was a big struggle for me, and it felt amazing to accomplish it.
     After the rehearsal we had a "graduation" from band camp and our induction as official members of the university band. It was all real now. It was really happening. God was faithful. At that point...I forgot for a moment about all my bruises (aka battle scars), aching muscles and joints, and exhaustion. It was like crossing the finish line after a big race. Life is kind of like that too. On Earth we will endure trials and pain, but as Christians we know that one day we will cross that finish line into Heaven and hear our Creator, God say "Well done, good and faithful servant." That is a victory that cannot be compared. :)
     I know that my journey in guard has only just begun....we have not even performed at our first game yet. I still have tons of work ahead of me...more to learn...more bruises probably, but now I have an idea of where God is leading me through it all. That is the strength that pulls me through the hard times to the moments when I perform and I feel amazing out there on that field spinning my flag. I've also met some incredible friends through color guard and that is a blessing of it's own.
     Whatever you're going through...remember that in order to see God's big picture you've got to put the puzzle together one piece at a time. In the meantime...trust that God will be faithful in bringing it to completion, and don't give up.



Grace & Peace,
Samantha (The Hat Girl)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome testimony expressing your feelings and sharing what you learned through this time period! How wonderful to see the Lord guide your steps and to use people with His message. Its exciting watching this unfold! Keep trusting in the Lord with all your heart. You have accomplished so much with His guidance. So very happy and proud of you!

    ReplyDelete